These instructions are useful if you need to manually update your email server settings in Outlook (Office 365 2021 edition).
These instructions assume that the IMAP protocol, rather than POP3, is to be used (POP3 needs different port settings) and that you are updating the settings for a previously configured email account, i.e. not setting up a new one.
If you are not sure of the required email account settings for your server, see The Basics.
To update your IMAP account Settings:
- Open Outlook and click on the File tab.
- Ensure you have the right account selected in the drop down list at the top of the screen.
- Click on the Account Settings button and select Server Settings from the drop down menu:
- The IMAP Account Settings window will then be displayed. The window has an expanding section for Incoming mail and Outgoing mail. Update the Incoming mail settings, as required:
Note: in the above and below screen examples, change mail.orchidserve.co.uk for mail.<yourdomain>. Ensure that your domain has a valid SSL certificate.
- Expand the Outgoing mail section and check the Outgoing mail settings, as required:
- When you are satisfied you have the correct settings, click the Next button.
- Outlook will update the Account Settings and the Account successfully updated message is displayed.
If your settings are correct, you will receive a test email message.